“Against the backdrop of globalisation, we provide internationally active businesses with tried-and-tested advice on implementing global strategies locally, ensuring simultaneous compliance with differing national regulations as well as with European and international standards.”
– Volker von Alvensleben, employment partner with DLA Piper
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific, positioning us to help companies with their legal needs anywhere in the world.
Presence and experience
The DLA Piper Employment group ranks among the leading Employment teams in Germany, offering dedicated lawyers in four of our five German offices – Cologne, Frankfurt, Hamburg and Munich.
Our lawyers have many years‘ experience in all aspects of employment law, staying abreast of developments through constant training. The team in Germany is part of our global employment group, which has more than 250 dedicated lawyers around the world.
Excellence for our clients
Our clients need lawyers who understand how employment law affects their operations – wherever they are. That is why employment law is at the heart of our own offering, a key capability which we are continuously extending and developing. Our lawyers are acknowledged authorities on the full spectrum of employment issues, their longstanding practices complemented by publications and lectures.
Our clients engage us in all kinds of employment-related matters, from helping their HR departments with day-to-day work to advising on complicated transactions and urgent or challenging restructurings. We have years of experience advising on the establishment and growth of businesses, as well as on disputes with works councils or single employees. Through close cooperation with colleagues in the tax and corporate practice groups, our lawyers are perfectly placed to advise on complex legal issues, such as those that can arise in outsourcing projects or the posting of senior executives around the world.
Our clients are businesses of various sizes and from different industries, including leading international corporations and large German Mittelstand companies. We have industry-specific know-how in the following areas: retail, services, commerce, information and telecommunications, manufacturing (especially the metal and electrical industries), chemicals and the financial sector.
Our German team can call as necessary on the resources of experienced colleagues worldwide. This international cooperation enables us to offer our clients targeted legal advice anywhere and anytime, and all to the same high international standard. In DLA Piper, our international clients have a partner that understands their specific challenges and offers real local insight in all parts of the world.
With over 300 lawyers globally, the international employment team has extensive experience in handling complex, politically sensitive employment-related matters, including multi-jurisdictional collective and class actions.
Professional solutions for businesses
We provide practical solutions to our clients in all areas of employment law, offering advice as well as legal representation. We undertake reviews and amendments of employment agreements, as well as the management of investigations into business practices and/or personal conduct.
The combination of our know-how and our international reach means we have the insight and resources to supervise major projects, including crossborder transactions, relocations or closures of sites, or the introduction of advanced remuneration arrangements –throughout all project phases, right up to completion. We support our clients in such classic areas of employment law as:
- Co-determination in a business, a company or a group of companies
- Setup of employment contracts with specific attention to the new German rules on Standard Terms and Conditions
- Termination and winding-up of employment and service agreements
- Executive issues
- Development and implementation of remuneration schemes
- Litigation and resolution of disputes, including appeal procedures
We also advise on collective labour law issues as they arise in such projects as:
- Outsourcing, especially of IT departments
- Corporate transactions
- Collective agreements and collective bargaining, often in critical turnaround restructuring projects
- Introduction and amendment of occupational pension plans
- Restructuring of businesses, including balance of interests, social plan, setup and supervision of transfer
and training companies, early retirement and partial retirement schemes.
Thanks to the specialist know-how our lawyers offer, we are frequently asked to advise on specific areas of employment law relevant to international businesses, such as:
- Rules concerning diversity and discrimination, especially advice on the new German Equal Treatment Act
- Ethical and compliance rules, including ethical/ whistleblowing hotlines
- Data protection and international transfer of data
- Secondment of employees and executives around the world.